As the oldest girls’ school in the country, The Maynard is a name synonymous with academic success. For nearly four centuries it has been a jewel in Devon’s crown, coupling a top education with an enviable reputation for its warm, friendly atmosphere, vast extra-curricular offering and a deep-rooted sense of fun and happiness that permeates its classrooms and corridors.
Highest ranking independent school in DevonSee below
5th= best performing independent school in England (out of 1311)See below
Highest scoring (by some margin) independent school in DevonSee below
- In 2019, when the Department for Education league tables were last published, the Maynard consolidated its place as the highest ranking independent school in Devon with 53.5% of students achieving AAB or higher, including at least two facilitating subjects.
- We were also the highest scoring (by some margin) independent school in Devon to achieve an above average Progress Score at A-level. Essentially, this means we are the best at improving our students’ predicted grades!
Our students only sit the recently reformed GCSEs (as opposed to the IGCSE).
- At the last measure in 2019, we were ranked the 5th= best performing independent school in England (out of 1311) for the percentage of students who achieved grade 5 or above in the English and Maths GCSEs.
- We were also rated 15th nationally for the Attainment 8 score based on how well students have performed in up to eight mainstream qualifications.
- 72.9% of all Maynard grades were 7-9 (versus the national average of 20.8%).
Happy girls are successful girls
However, a Maynard education isn’t just about academic achievement. It is about so much more; we boast numerous individual and team champions in the sporting arena with access to some of the best facilities available; we are one of the highest achieving schools for music and drama in the county; we relish our timetable packed with trips and workshops to be enjoyed by the whole school. But we take our greatest pride from the happy, ambitious and successful students with whom we have the pleasure to work with each day!